We are currently looking for volunteers interesting in contributing to different roles. Below you can read more about our vacant volunteer roles in Greece or in Norway.
We are looking for therapists who have the opportunity to assist from their home as volunteers in the case of debrief conversations with our field workers, either by acute need or after returning from field work. The conversations are held on Skype and it is a prerequisite that you speak English fluently. We believe the following background is relevant for such assignments: police / fire department / paramedic or psychologist / psychiatrist / therapist. It is an advantage with experience from debriefing, crisis situation and meeting with people who are traumatized, burned out or have experienced a very demanding situation.
Kindly send information about yourself, your background and your motivation for such an assignment to firstname.lastname@example.org and mark the inquiry “Therapist”.
English teachers, Skaramagas Athen and Drop Centre Lesvos
To our locations in Athen and Lesvos we are looking for a english teacher or people that are interesting in teaching english. You have to be able to volunteer for minimum 4 weeks. For more information send an e-mail to: email@example.com
Market Manager, Nea Kavala – Northern Greece
We are looking for a long-term volunteer interested in volunteering as Market Manager for our DropShop in Nea Kavala camp in Northern Greece with durability for at least 4 weeks.
The Market Manager is responsible for the operation and the daily running of our DropShop, which provides a shop environment for distribution of clothing and hygiene items to over 700 residents.
Among the tasks are:
- Develop and maintain routines to ensure that the DropShop runs efficiently.
- Manage a team of international and resident volunteers during opening hours
- Train volunteer staff in DropShop processes and systems
- Create a safe environment within the DropShop, in collaboration with the onsite coordinators
- Report weekly to the onsite coordinators
- In cooperation with Logistics Coordinator, ensure that the DropShop always has sufficient items for “sale” and distribution to residents
- Use the Drop App to ‘sell’ items to residents
- Work with the onsite Volunteer Coordinator to produce a volunteer rota
- Field queries and complaints from residents.
We are looking for a volunteer with the following background
- Experience in retail and supply chain
- Good leadership skills
- Service minded and experienced with problem solving
- Experience with humanitarian work
- Fluency in English. Arabic, Kurmanji, French or Farsi skills advantageous.
To be considered for the volunteer Market Manager role, please send your CV and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org marked “Market Manager”. Please also tell us for how long you are able to volunteer. All long-term volunteers staying for more than 6 weeks, are able to apply for coverage of personal expenses.
While contributing as coordinator, one will have challenging, valuable and different tasks. The main responsibility is to manage and coordinate our activities at the locations where A Drop in the Ocean operates. In addition, one of the most important tasks is organizing the contribution from all our present volunteers.
The coordinators have various responsibilities and tasks at each location, such as
- Project Coordinator: responsible for operating our projects and activities at the location
- Volunteer Coordinator: responsible for volunteer management such as induction, training and follow up on volunteers
- Logistics Coordinator: responsible for our “supply chain” including running and maintenance of warehouse and Drop Shop, calls for and reception of donations to the location.
- Site Coordinator: responsible for finances and administration at the location as well as being the nearest leader to the other coordinators.
Among the tasks relevant for the coordinators, are planning and administration of volunteers’ efforts in and around the refugee camps, such as distribution of food and non-food items, warehouse logistics, activities for children, language lessons and running of our markets/Drop Shops.
The coordinators are official representatives for A Drop in the Ocean at the locations and cooperate with other NGOs, UNHCR and local authorities.
For being a coordinator it is advantageous having background and experience from humanitarian work, primarily from crisis areas. In addition, solid experience from project management and leadership is important, as well as good communication skills. Our coordinators have good health, are service minded and have good abilities in general computer knowledge. All coordinators are fluent in English.
A Coordinator of A Drop in the Ocean is travelling on his/her own responsibility, and must be able to contribute in Greece for at least three months. Site Coordinators have to commit for at least five months in a row. As for all volunteers with the organization, one has to be above the age of 25 to be considered as coordinator.
A Drop in the Ocean will cover expenses regarding travel to the location, rental car and phone. All coordinators live in our apartments at the location. Coordinators may apply for coverage of personal expenses limited to € 300 a month.
If you are interested in applying for a volunteer coordinator assignment, please forward your CV with letter of motivation to email@example.com and describe when you are available, and for how long you are interested in volunteering in Greece. Do also tell what Coordinator role that might be of interest.