We are currently looking for volunteers interesting in contributing to different roles. Below you can read more about our vacant volunteer roles in Greece or in Norway.
Coordinators, Samos, Lesvos and Nea Kavala
While contributing as coordinator, one will have challenging, valuable and different tasks. The main responsibility is to manage and coordinate our activities at the locations where A Drop in the Ocean operates. In addition, one of the most important tasks is organizing the contribution from all our present volunteers.
The coordinators have various responsibilities and tasks at each location, such as
- Project Coordinator: responsible for operating our projects and activities at the location
- Volunteer Coordinator: responsible for volunteer management such as induction, training and follow up on volunteers
- Logistics Coordinator: responsible for our “supply chain” including running and maintenance of warehouse and Drop Shop, calls for and reception of donations to the location.
- Site Coordinator: responsible for finances and administration at the location as well as being the nearest leader to the other coordinators.
Among the tasks relevant for the coordinators, are planning and administration of volunteers’ efforts in and around the refugee camps, such as distribution of food and non-food items, warehouse logistics, activities for children, language lessons and running of our markets/Drop Shops.
The coordinators are official representatives for A Drop in the Ocean at the locations and cooperate with other NGOs, UNHCR and local authorities.
For being a coordinator it is advantageous having background and experience from humanitarian work, primarily from crisis areas. In addition, solid experience from project management and leadership is important, as well as good communication skills. Our Coordinators have good health, are service minded and have good abilities in general computer knowledge. All Coordinators are fluent in English. Coordinators have valid international drivers license.
A Coordinator of A Drop in the Ocean is travelling on his/her own responsibility, and must be able to contribute in Greece for at least three months, preferably four months. Site Coordinators have to commit for at least five, preferably six months in a row. As for all volunteers with the organization, one has to be above the age of 25 to be considered as Coordinator.
A Drop in the Ocean will cover expenses regarding travel to the location, rental car and phone. All coordinators live in our apartments at the location. Coordinators may receive coverage of personal expenses the first 4 months of €300. From the 5th month, the amount to cover these expenses is €400.
If you are interested in applying for a volunteer Coordinator assignment, please forward your CV with letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org and describe what period you are interested in volunteering in Greece. Do also tell what Coordinator role that might be of interest.
Volunteer Coordinator Mentor
The Coordinator Mentor is responsible for biweekly 1:1 follow up on Coordinators in Greece through Skype. We have at all times approximately 15 Coordinators based in Greece that receive this kind of support from the organisation.
Among the focus areas when being mentor will be Coordinators´ mental and physical health, their well-being, self-care and challenges as field workers. Furthermore time management, prioritization and personal challenges and development are important areas for the follow-up conversations. Background as a psychologist or other healthcare/mentoring roles can be relevant for this volunteer role.
For being considered to this volunteer role, one has to have the following qualifications:
- Experienced / certified coach
- Good interpersonal skills and an excellent listener
- Service minded
- Experience with problem solving and advising in challenging situations
- Fluent in English
- Having been field worker with A Drop in the Ocean is an advantage.
Forward your CV and describe your experiences as Coach/Mentor to email@example.com as soon as possible.
Site Coordinator, Lesvos
We are currently seeking Site Coordinator to our operation on Lesvos where we run various projects in and close to Moria refugee camp.
Our Site Coordinator is responsible for A Drop in the Ocean´s overall activities at the location. This include managing volunteer staff, logistics, finances, overseeing projects and activities inside and outside of Moria refugee camp as well as the Drop Centre in Moria village.
- Training, mentoring and 1:1 supervision of present Coordinators
- Recruiting of volunteer team leaders
- Weekly team meetings with Coordinators
- Exit conversation with leaving Coordinators and volunteers
- Reporting to Head Quarter in Norway and to donors
- Keeping the financial situation at location in line with budget
- On behalf of the organisation, take part in meetings under the direction of UNHCR/military/camp management/donors/other NGOs etc
- Maintain an overview of available equipment and donations belonging to the organisation
- Through activities on social media, contribute to knowledge regarding the organisation´s work at the location
- In charge of preparedness, safety of staff and HSE at the location
- University education
- Good leadership skills and experience from working with multicultural teams
- Experienced and good references from running and being in charge of operations within the humanitarian sector working with refugees inside and near refugee camps
- Service minded, good communication skills and experienced with problem solving
- Fluent in English, good knowledge of Greek, preferable knowledge of Arabic
- Experienced within Project management
- Criminal record check is required
All Site Coordinators with A Drop in the Ocean contribute on volunteer basis, and are travelling on their own responsibility, and must be able to contribute for 6 months. A Drop in the Ocean covers travel expenses, telephone, rental car and housing. A valid international driver’s license is necessary to be considered as a Site Coordinator. The organisation covers personal expenses up to € 300 on a monthly basis.
If you have the right qualifications, are interested in being considered as our next Site Coordinator to Lesvos, you must be able to start the assignment no later than 1 December. We would like to receive your letter of motivation including your CV as soon as possible marked “Site Coordinator Lesvos” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly also state for how long you are available to volunteer. For further information: www.drapenihavet.no
We are looking for therapists who have the opportunity to assist from their home as volunteers in the case of debrief conversations with our field workers, either by acute need or after returning from field work. The conversations are held on Skype and it is a prerequisite that you speak English fluently. We believe the following background is relevant for such assignments: police / fire department / paramedic or psychologist / psychiatrist / therapist. It is an advantage with experience from debriefing, crisis situation and meeting with people who are traumatized, burned out or have experienced a very demanding situation.
Kindly send information about yourself, your background and your motivation for such an assignment to email@example.com and mark the inquiry “Therapist”.
English teachers, Skaramagas Athen and Drop Centre Lesvos
To our locations in Athen and Lesvos we are looking for a english teacher or people that are interesting in teaching english. You have to be able to volunteer for minimum 4 weeks. For more information send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org