More than 8,000 field workers from 70 countries have contributed since 2015. Both international field workers and community volunteers (camp residents who volunteer alongside international field workers) contribute to our work.
The daily life in the field
Everyday life as a field worker is varied and meaningful, though the work can be demanding, and the hours long. Our activities have a broad range – in terms of purpose, content and target group – and we aim to include our field workers in all the various tasks. You will be included in a schedule with a clear overview of the activities you will participate in.
We highly value professionality, teamwork, and respect, and we require all our field workers to follow our guidelines and policies.
In the refugee camps, we co-operate with various organisations and actors such as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), and the Danish Refugee Council (DRC).
To become a field worker, you must:
- Be 23 years old or older
- Commit for at least 4 or 6 weeks depending on the location
- Provide us with a criminal record certificate
- Send us proof of insurance and the name and number of insurance provider
- Provide us with a copy of your passport
- Send us your CV
- Complete our online training
- Accept and follow our guidelines
- Be prepared for long and unpredictable, but also interesting and meaningful days in the field
- It is important to us that you have a meaningful stay that corresponds with your expectations. All potential field workers must be interviewed by our operations coordinators.
- We use our funds where it is mostly needed and require that our field workers cover all costs related to their assignment. A Drop in the Ocean is not responsible for assistance on financial matters, but it is possible to get reimbursement for all field workers. You can apply for reimbursement limited to 250 EUR per month for personal costs such as accommodation, rental car, and transport, with a maximum of five receipts for each month. Reimbursement is only available if you participate for four weeks or longer.
Where we work
Do you want to become a field worker?
Do you have a burning desire to join our work for displaced persons? Fill out our application form and become a volunteer field worker with A Drop in the Ocean. We receive many applications and encourage you to give elaborate information about your background, experience, and motivation.