Please note that our administration is doing this work as volunteers themselves. If you want information about A Drop in the Ocean and the work that is being done in the field (and you do not find the answer on our website), please only contact us by email. You will not be waiting too long before a reply is given.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER?
- Read the information on our website (http://drapenhavet.wpengine.com/no/volunteer/).
- Send a message to us using our contact form (http://drapenhavet.wpengine.com/en/contact/).
- Once you have chosen your destination, create a profile and register your trip.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO BE A VOLUNTEER? DO I NEED EXPERIENCE? IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
- You must be at least 25 years old.
- You must be able to work as a volunteer for at least 10 full days.
- You must have the willingness to work hard in a demanding environment requiring long days/hours.
- We value people with a high level of initiative and sense of personal responsibility, who can follow through tasks with minimal direction.
- It would be advantageous if you have strong language skills.
- Project related experience/coordination skills would be an advantage.
- We have had requests from parents wanting to do fieldwork together with their children. We therefor want to emphasize our age limit at 25. Persons aged 23-24 can work in the field together with a parent after having been through an interview, either by phone or email, with one of our administrators. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact email@example.com.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I HAVE REGISTERED AS A VOLUNTEER ON YOUR WEBSITE?
- You will receive a confirmation that your registration is received.
- Please check your mail often. Sometimes we need to send you some info, or ask you some questions.
- If everything is ok, your trip will be accepted and you will receive a more detailed email about the destination you will be going to.
- Then you will be added to a closed Facebook travel group where you can arrange accommodation, transports, etc, or get tips about this.
WHERE DO YOU NEED VOLUNTEERS? WHICH PLACES HAVE THE MOST NEED?
- If you know when you are able to travel, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can advise you based on current and upcoming requirements.
I AM UNSURE HOW LONG I CAN VOLUNTEER FOR, HOW LONG ARE VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED FOR?
- You must be able to work in Greece for at least 10 days.
I PLAN TO TRAVEL WITH A GROUP OF FRIENDS. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ALL OF US TO WORK TOGETHER AS VOLUNTEERS?
- Yes, you all have to register yourself and your trip independently, and then add the names of the once you are going to travel with in the comment section.
- If there are more than 5 people, please send an email to email@example.com before you book your travel.
I AM TRAVELLING ALONE, AND WANT TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TRAVEL WITH. CAN YOU PUT ME IN CONTACT WITH SOMEONE?
- When your trip is accepted you will be added to a travel group on Facebook. On this group you can find others that will travel during the same period.
- If you have not booked your travel, you can send a question to our Facebook group. Feel free to use the local groups to do this.
I WANT TO BRING EQUIPMENT/ITEMS FOR THE REFUGEES, WHAT DO THEY NEED?
- The needs change constantly. You will be provided with information regarding this in the travel group you belong to and what kind of equipment you may bring along.
WHAT KIND OF PERSONAL EQUIPMENT/ITEMS DO I NEED TO BRING?
- Clothes and shoes to match the season and weather.
- Remember that you will potentially work with people from different cultures to you, and it is recommended to wear clothes which cover the shoulders.
- Remember to bring general personal toiletries for yourself.
- You can use shorts on the beach.
- Sunscreen and hats are needed when you work out in the sun for long periods during the day.
- In winter it can still become cold in Greece, so it is recommended to bring some wool thermals and warm jackets which shield from the wind.
HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD I EXPECT TO USE DURING MY STAY?
- Costs connected to your travel, accommodation, transport (public or rental car) and food.
- Total costs will vary depending on the time of year you are travelling, destination and choice of accommodation.
DO I NEED A RENTAL CAR?
- On Chios and in Northern Greece a car is needed for transport. Rental cars can be shared between other volunteers. In Athens volunteers can use the public transportation offer.
IS THERE INTERNET ACCESS?
- Most accommodation in Greece has internet access. We suggest you check before booking accommodation.
IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL AS A VOLUNTEER?
- Our destinations are safe to travel to.
- We follow the travel advice of the Office of Norwegian Foreign Affairs; you can check travel advice from the foreign affairs office of your country, if you wish.
DO I NEED VACCINES?
- We suggest you talk to your doctor or your local travel medical clinic.
- You will be in contact with refugees from North Africa and the Middle East, it is important that your doctor, or travel medical clinic is aware of this so they can advise you on which vaccines you may need.
CAN I BRING MY CHILDREN?
- We have a lower age limit of 25.
- We have had requests from parents wanting to do fieldwork together with their children. We therefor want to emphazise our age limit at 25. Persons aged 23-24 can work in the field together with a parent after having been through an interview, either by phone or email, with one of our administrators. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF I NEED TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE WHEN I RETURN HOME FROM VOLUNTEERING, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- Check the calendar on our website to see if there is a discussion group in your area. These workshops are led by professionals (currently only running in Norway).
- If you do not find a discussion group that suits you, send an email to email@example.com.
I WANT TO HELP, BUT CANNOT TRAVEL INTERNATIONALLY. HOW CAN I ASSIST?
- You can become a paying member her.
- You can become a member of one of our local groups on Facebook and get more information there.
- If you live in the Oslo-area, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what you want to assist with.
- You can engage locally amongst refugees in your community.
I HAVE A BACKGROUND AS A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL, HOW CAN I HELP?
- Contact us via email at email@example.com and tell us about your background. We will suggest a destination based on current needs.
- We are not authorized to offer medical services to the refugees, but we experience that health professionals are beneficial to our organizations in several other situations.
I HAVE A BACKGROUND AS A CHILDCARE PROFESSIONAL / SPECIALIZATION IN CHILD RELATED HEALTH? HOW CAN I HELP?
- There is always a need for teachers and other personnel with childcare backgrounds.
- Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about your background. We will suggest a destination from the current needs.
WHAT KIND OF ADMINISTRATIVE COSTS DO YOU HAVE AS AN ORGANIZATION?
- A Drop in the Ocean has minimal administrative costs. From July 2016 we employ 1,5 people. You can find more information on our annual report.
I WANT TO GIVE MONEY/DONATE, HOW DO I DO THIS?
- You can become a monthly paying member here.
- You can donate money through various payment methods on our website here.
- If you wish to initiate a donation/collection drive or organize an event where the proceeds go to A Drop in the Ocean, contact email@example.com for more information.
I HAVE CLOTHES AND ITEMS I WISH TO DONATE, WHERE CAN I SEND THEM?
- When there are specific requirements we will put information on our website, local Facebook groups and our main Facebook group.
CAN I BECOME A COORDINATOR?
- You must be over 25 and have experience with leadership, or humanitarian work to be a coordinator.
- Send an application with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO GIVE MONEY TO A SPECIFIC PROJECT?
- When we need money for a specific project we will advertise in social media and on our website.
- If you want to earmark donations for a specific project or location, you can write this in the message field on the bank transfer.
HOW DO I KNOW THAT MY DONATION GOES TO THE REFUGEES?
- We work directly giving aid to the people who need it, without using expensive middle-men.
- We provide information and updates regularly on social media, regarding ongoing projects and how donations we receive are being used.
- A Drop in the Ocean is recognized as an official fundraising organization, gives you a level of assurance that your money goes directly to serve the purpose for which it was donated.
CAN I USE PICTURES FROM YOUR WEBSITE FOR MY OWN COLLECTION, WHEN I AM GOING TO TRAVEL AS A VOLUNTEER FOR YOU?
- We request that if you wish to use pictures from our website or social media accounts, to inform us and ask permission beforehand.
AM I ALLOWED TO START A COLLECTION FOR MY OWN VOLUNTEERING TRIP?
- There are some volunteers who do this, but it should be clearly visible to the people you are collecting from, that it is a private initiative and not carried out by A Drop in the Ocean.
- If you have collected money for your work with A Drop in the Ocean that does not get used, we would prefer if you could transfer the remaining amount to our account after you have travelled.
IS IT OK TO START A COLLECTION IF I WISH TO GIVE THE MONEY TO A DROP IN THE OCEAN?
- Yes, as long as we are informed and have approved it in advance.
I HAVE A FOOD ALLERGY, CAN I STILL DO FIELD WORK?
- As a volunteer, you must choose what, how and when you eat.
- In this aspect, you must take personal care and follow your own judgement and medical advice regarding your allergy.
I HAVE A CHRONIC ILLNESS, WHAT SHOULD I DO AS VOLUNTEER?
- You should exercise your own judgement, and follow the advice of your doctor before you make a decision about travelling.
- If you are able to manage your illness and decide to travel, please ensure your coordinator is informed of important information relating to your illness.